Family mourns death of son stabbed at Sydney Royal Easter Show
Posted On April 18, 2022
Uati “Pele” Faletolu’s “heartbroken” mother Janice said she does not want her son to be remembered as a victim after he was killed while on a break from his job as a ride attendant in what police believe was a planned confrontation last Monday.
“Uati was a happy, outgoing young man with a loving heart,” Jasika Faletolu posted on social media on behalf of the family.
“He was a loyal friend, a caring brother, and a selfless son and partner.
“Even with the tragic circumstances surrounding Uati’s passing, we as a family do not want Uati remembered as a victim but to use this time to honour and celebrate the beautiful person that he was.”
Mr Faletolu’s body is due to be returned to the family home today after being released by the coroner.
His funeral will be held this Friday, April 22, with his family asking those wishing to pay their respects to reach out to Ms Faletolu first.
Police have charged a 15-year-old boy with carrying a knife in relation to the incident, but said he is not responsible for the killing or the stabbing of another 16-year-old on the night.
“We believe there is someone we still need to identify who is responsible for the stabbing,” Superintendent Danielle Emerton said last week
“It may be one person, it may be multiple people.”
Mr Faletolu’s family thanked members of the community for their support, and the food, messages, flowers, and financial support they have received.
“We are truly grateful for the generosity and kindness shown,” Jasika Faletolu said on social media.
“The support has been a true blessing and has lightened the burden for us as we grieve our beloved Uati.”