Mystery and intrigue surrounds escaped US inmate Casey Cole White and missing officer Vicky White

The US Marshals Service is offering up to US $10,000 for information about an escaped inmate and a “missing and endangered” correctional officer who disappeared on Friday after the two left a jail in north Alabama.
Casey Cole White, 38, had been jailed on a capital murder charge in the Lauderdale County Detention Centre in Florence, Alabama.

The inmate and assistant director of corrections Vicky White, 56, left the Lauderdale County Detention Centre on Friday morning to go to a nearby courthouse, the sheriff’s office said in a Facebook post on Saturday.

It is not known if this was an assisted escape or if Vicky White was perhaps overpowered and kidnapped. Investigators are trying determine whether there a relationship between the two. (AP)

Investigators said the two are not related.

“Casey White is believed to be a serious threat to the corrections officer and the public,” the US marshal for northern Alabama, Marty Keely, said in a statement today.

While in state prison for other crimes in 2020, Casey confessed to the 2015 stabbing death of Connie Ridgeway.

Vicky White has been with the department 16 years.

At a news conference on Friday, Lauderdale County Sheriff Rick Singleton said she was armed when she left the jail with the inmate and headed to the courthouse for what she said was a mental health evaluation for Casey White.

She was alone with the inmate, which the sheriff said violated department policy.

“Our policy is for any inmate with those kinds of charges to have two sworn deputies escort them. And that did not happen,” Sheriff Singleton said.

Sheriff Singleton also said there was no mental health evaluation for the inmate scheduled at the courthouse.

Character and charm of historic Aussie pubs

The vehicle the officer and the inmate were in when they left the detention centre was found at a nearby shopping centre parking lot, according to the sheriff’s office.

Vicky White also told co-workers she had a doctor’s appointment scheduled, which was confirmed but the office said the deputy never showed.

Officials said no one realised the two were missing until about six hours after they left the jail.

Deputies tried to contact Vicky White but her phone repeatedly went to voicemail.

Sheriff Singleton said his department was “aggressively investigating” the incident and would be looking into previous interaction between the two to “see if something else was going on.”

Sheriff Singleton told news outlets that Vicky White had turned in her retirement papers the day before she went missing.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.