Chilling details emerge in court as couple refused bail over alleged murder of NSW teen

A couple has been refused bail today after they were charged with the alleged murder of 19-year-old Amber Haigh, who vanished nearly 20 years ago.

Robert Geeves and his wife Anne Geeves, both aged 61, were arrested at a property at Harden, in the NSW south-west yesterday and were later charged with one count each of murder.

The police prosecutor told Cowra Local Court the homicide squad made the arrests after a new witness came forward via Crime Stoppers, just a week after a $1 million reward for information on the case was announced.

Amber Haigh was described as having a ‘warm and loving soul’. (Supplied)

The court heard Mr Geeves allegedly bought a chainsaw in the days after Haigh’s disappearance.

Police will allege they captured the couple on phone intercepts talking about the disposal of Haigh’s body including Ms Geeves asking her husband, “where are we going to take the rest of her now” and “have you got rid of her?”

Mr Geeves is also accused of asking his wife “not to roll” on him because he “didn’t want to go to jail”.

Robert Geeves and Anne Geeves have been charged over the alleged murder of Amber Haigh.
Robert Geeves and Anne Geeves faced court today over the alleged murder of Amber Haigh. (9News)

The police prosecutor told the court there was a clear motive, arguing the couple allegedly killed Haigh to obtain custody of a child.

Mr Geeves’ lawyer explained during today’s bail application her client had previously been charged but acquitted of the murder of another woman.

A magistrate refused Mr Geeves’ bail after finding there was a strong circumstantial case.

The man and woman, both 61, were arrested over the 2002 suspicious disappearance of Amber Haigh this morning.
The man and woman, both 61, were arrested yesterday. (NSW Police Force)

Haigh was the mother of a six-month-old son who was fathered by Mr Geeves.

She disappeared on June 5, 2002, after making plans to visit her sick father at Mt Druitt hospital in Sydney.

The Geeves told police they dropped the teen off at Campbelltown train station.

Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty said police will allege Haigh was killed in the Harden-Young area.

“We will allege Amber met her demise in the Harden-Young area and never made it to Sydney and as I’ve said before it was a terribly tragic event where a six-month-old baby was left behind and never got to grow up and know his mum,” Detective Superintendent Doherty said.

Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty speaks on the arrests made over the alleged murder of Amber Haigh.
Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty speaks on the case yesterday. (9News)

Haigh’s family are still desperate to find her body with a $1 million reward remaining for any information about the location of her remains.

“The family is really keen to find the remains of Amber and put her to rest,” Detective Superintendent Doherty said.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.