Queensland toddler left on child care bus in Rockhampton, begins recovery

Young Nevaeh Austin was suffering critical injuries when she was found unconscious on a mini-bus outside Le Smileys Early Learning Centre near Rockhampton, suffering severe dehydration and probable kidney failure after seven hours in extreme heat.

After being flown to Queensland Children’s Hospital in Brisbane to receive life-saving treatment, Nevaeh’s family have confirmed the young one is sitting upright and breathing on her own.

Three-year-old Nevaeh Austin was found unconscious on the bus outside an early learning centre in Gracemere, near Rockhampton, in 28C degree heat yesterday. (Supplied)

“To see her big smile, this cheeky little three year old- I was like that’s my girl,” Nevaeh’s grandmother, Pamela Parker, said.

“She’s not back 100 per cent but she’s back.

“She’s on a big road to recovery.”

Queensland premier Annastacia Palaszczuk also shared her relief.

“I’m very grateful to hear that the young girl is now sitting up and responsive,” she said.

Nevaeh was picked up from her home around 9am on Wednesday morning on the child care centre’s mini bus.

Nevaeh’s grandmother, Pamela Parker said the family are angry and desperately seeking answers. (Nine)

Half an hour later she was left there by two staff members, despite being the only child on board that day.

Parker said the young girl’s recovery has been a huge relief, but the family is still seeking answers as to how the child was forgotten.

“I’m angry- Sheridan and Shane (Nevaeh’s parents) certainly are very angry,” she said.

“No one deserves to be left alone. Not like that.”

Queensland Police have established a taskforce and are investigating the incident.

Detectives said staff at the centre are cooperating “to a degree” and have sought legal advice.

“I want my staff to be extremely thorough about this to get to the bottom of what occurred,” Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll said.


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.